Jun 4, 2013

Banana Cake

I’m a little late posting this morning because I have a sick munchkin.   She had a high fever all through the night and I was so worried about putting her to bed that she slept on me the whole night.  Needless to say, we both had to play catch up on sleep this morning.  Her fever came down so I felt better about putting her in her crib alone.  I just hope she feels better today!  Nothing is worst then having a sick little one who can’t express her feelings and tell me what hurts!

Tasty Tuesday today is one of my all-time FAVORITE desserts ever!  I actually posted this dessert on my old blog and I wanted to re-post here because it is so tasty!  This cake is my Grandma’s banana cake, she would make it for many family occasions and I would always request one for a birthday when I was younger.  Now I will say this cake does take a little bit of time but it is worth every. single. minute!  Trust me, you won’t be disappointed! 

For the Cake:
2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
1 1/3 c. sugar
1/2 c. shortening
1/2 c. sour milk **Get 1/2 c. milk and add a tbsp or a bit more of vinegar.
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. mashed bananas
1/2 c. walnuts (chopped)
2 eggs

Sift together:  (honestly this time I didn’t sift and it was fine, I got lazy)
Flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.  If you don't have a sifter just dump it in a colander...easy peasy!  Then set this aside.

In a separate bowl:
Add sour milk and vanilla, stir and set aside.

Then in a mixer add:
Shortening and mix first until softened.
Then, slowly add in dry ingredients *flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
Next, add 1/4 c. of sour milk mixture and mashed bananas.  Mix well until all flour is dampened.  Beat for about 2 minutes!
Then, add eggs, nuts, remaining milk and mix for 1 minute longer.

Finally, bake @ 375 degrees for 25 minutes.  I always split the mixture into 2 circular cake pans, be sure to grease the pans!!!

For the frosting:
5 tbsp. flour
1 c. milk
1/2 c. shortening
1/4 lb. butter
1 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

I always make this while the cake is baking.  It needs to cool completely before you can finish it!  This frosting is light and so delicious!

Dump the flour into a saucepan and turn on the heat to medium low.  Immediately begin slowly pouring the milk into the flour and use a whisk to mix. 

Bring the mixture to a boil and let it get thick and bubbly, then cool completely.

In a mixer add:
Shortening, butter, and sugar.  Mix well!  Tip-leave the butter out awhile before making the frosting, if it is too hard it will leave lumpy pieces in the frosting.  If this does happen, you honestly can’t really taste it with everything else in the cake.  I would just recommend getting the butter to room temperature first!   

Then, (once cool) add the flour and milk paste to the mixture.  Finally, add vanilla.  Mix well until you can't feel the sugar-this could take a few minutes.


Now you have a tasty frosting for the cake!  I frost both pans and add some more chopped walnuts to the top!


Words can't describe how much I LOVE this cake!!  Hopefully you will too!  Stop by tomorrow for a summer fun activity for kids of any age!  


Follow me on Pinterest:  http://pinterest.com/littlesunblog/pins/
Follow me on Twitter:  https://twitter.com/littlebitofsun

No comments :

Post a Comment