Jun 11, 2013

Strawberry Ice Cream Cake

Tasty Tuesday this week is all about keeping cool when it's nice and hot out!

A few years ago I got married and my mom and sister threw me a really cute shower.  They had all of our friends and family bring their favorite recipes to the shower and my aunt got me a sweet recipe box to put them all in.  It was a really cute idea and it was nice for me because I got a lot of great recipes!  One of them is what I'm sharing today:

Strawberry Ice Cream Cake

This cake is easy, tasty, and can be altered to fit your ice cream preference!

Ingredients:
2 sleeves of Ritz crackers
1 stick of butter or margarine
1/2 c. of sugar
1/2 gallon of ice cream**
3 boxes of vanilla instant pudding
1 1/2 c. of mix
1 medium sized cool whip
**(This is where you can get creative. The original recipe called for vanilla and it was nice with vanilla.  This time I wanted to change it up and tried strawberry, and I think I liked it even more with strawberry ice cream.  It gives it a little extra kick of flavor.)

Directions:
**Take the ice cream out to let it soften before you want to start.**
First crush the crackers. I crushed mine in the food processor.  If you don't have one, put them in a plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin.
Then, mix the crackers, melted butter, and sugar together in a bowl.  Press the mixture into a 13 x 9 pan.  
Prepare the pudding mixture in a small bowl.  Dump all three packets and the 1 1/2 cups of milk into the bowl, mix well.  
Once the ice cream has softened, mix the ice cream and pudding.  I used a KitchenAid mixer, but electric mixers would be fine too.  I really think it would be too challenging to use your hands, but if you want to try, go for it! :) 
Then, spread the ice cream/pudding mixture over top of the cracker crust.  
Cover and stick in the freezer.
Finally, when you are ready to serve pull it out and spread cool whip on top!


**I have also tried spreading cool whip on top of the ice cream right away and then freezing it.  This works fine too.  I just think it is easier to spread the cool whip when the ice cream is hard!  It is pretty hard to mess this recipe up though!


Tomorrow I'm sharing a fun craft and story to do with your little ones this summer!  Stop by and check it out!!

Follow me on Pinterest:  http://pinterest.com/littlesunblog/pins/
Follow me on Twitter:  https://twitter.com/littlebitofsun

No comments :

Post a Comment