Dec 19, 2013

Giving Thanks

I received an email from an incredible lady with an amazing story.  This story truly touched my heart and also reminded me just how precious each and everyday is.  I would love for you to take a few minutes to read my blog today, visit Heather's blog, and show your support by commenting below with something you are thankful for!

Heather Von St. James was a brand new mother of only 3 1/2 months when she got the news that she was diagnosed with Mesothelioma.  It is a rare cancer caused by asbestos exposure.  Most people who are diagnosed with this cancer don't live beyond 15 months.  I can't even imagine having that precious new born baby and thinking that your life with that sweet child would be cut so short.  I also couldn't even imagine how Heather had the strength to continue after hearing the diagnosis, she did though, she had hope!  She was only 36 years old when she was diagnosed.

She was exposed to asbestos as a child.  Her father was a construction worker and would carry it around on his clothing.  She often wore his jacket around, thus leading to her exposure.

She was able to meet a wonderful network of doctors who helped her along the way.  She also had something so incredible, hope.  She mentioned on her blog how she lives her life with hope and in the moment and not negatively.  That tells me what a strong lady she is, it is no wonder she beat the odds!  She was going to beat it, no matter what.  There was no other option for her!

On her blog she has a video of her story.  You should really check it out, it is a great video!  The video ends with such a powerful statement, "with hope, the odds don't matter."  Incredible, I love everything Heather stands for.  She sees the world and each day with hope, she doesn't dwell on the negatives, she turns them into a positive.

Hearing her story has really touched my heart.  I know that there are so many people out there who are going through so many different and challenging things.  I can't imagine what other people have to go through.  It really makes me reflect on my own life and realize that I don't take the time each day to give enough thanks and praise.  Heather and her story have inspired me to really start looking at the good in all that life has to offer each day, and not to let the little things get in my way.

Her story has been on my mind since I heard it... Heather's diagnosis was in November and so each year during the holiday season she makes it a goal to acknowledge something she is thankful for each day. Heather's goal has inspired a goal for me as well.  I'm going to start jotting down something I'm thankful for at the end of each day (in my planner since I use it so often).  Each morning I want to read the previous day's entry to remind myself of all the joy each day can bring, and to really be thankful for what I have, and say a prayer for those in need.  I want to live my life in the moment, to really take time each day to be thankful!

Heather also asked me to share something that I'm thankful for. There are so many things that I'm truly thankful for it is hard to pick just one.  Here is my day number 1-I have decided that at the core of my happiness is my family.  They are the reason I am where I am today and they are the most important part of my life.  I go to my family for everything, to share in my joys, to share in my pain.  I'm so thankful for their love and support and the joy they bring me each day!

It is the season of giving and the season of thanks.  I'm so thankful for Heather and her incredible strength to beat the odds and share her story!  I'm also thankful that she decided to share it with me and allowed me the opportunity to share it with all of you.  I hope that you will comment below (or on her facebook page) with something you are thankful for to show Heather your support with her story and her cause!  Thank you Heather and each and everyone of you all!

Here is a link to Heather's blog:  http://www.mesothelioma.com/heather/#.UrJSgfRDuGw  Be sure to click on the video!  She also has facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HeatherVonStJames
Please pass it along and share her story to help spread awareness of Mesothelioma!

No comments :

Post a Comment